According to Data from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services:
- Nearly 50% of Americans are currently taking at least one prescription drug, up 5% from just 10 years ago.
- 1 out of every 5 Americans are on at least three prescription drugs simultaneously.
- There are about 700,000 emergency room visits every year caused by side effects and drug interactions from pharmaceuticals that were prescribed and taken properly.
- The rate of Americans addicted to prescribed pain killers is slowly rising every year, to the point that more Americans die each year from overdoses of prescription pain killers than illegal drugs such as heroin and cocaine.
- Americans compose only about 5% of the world population, but consume almost half of the world’s pharmaceutical drug supply.